I think the hardest thing about the curly girl method is finding which products are sulfate and silicone free. Many organic products are cg approved but not all.
You can either read and dissect labels for the ingredients below which gives me a headache. Or you can do the lazy way like I did and just find a list of curly girl approved products.
The following information is from www.naturallycurly.com and http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair:
Silicones and Sulfates
• Silicones that are not soluble in water and build up on the hair: Cetearyl methicone, Cetyl Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Dimethiconol, Stearyl Dimethicone, and Trimethylsilylamodimethicone.
• Silicones that are slightly soluble in water and will build up on most types of curly hair: Amodimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Behenoxy Dimethicone, and Stearoxy Dimethicone.
• Silicones that are soluble in water and safe to use (they are not listed with PEG in front of them): Dimethicone Copolyol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane, and Lauryl methicone copolyol.
• Some common sulfates are Alkylbenzene sulfonate, Ammonium laureth or lauryl sulfate, Ammonium or Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Sodium cocoyl sarcosinate, Sodium laureth, myreth, or lauryl sulfate, Sodium lauryl sulfoacetate, TEA-dodecylbenzenesulfonate, Ethyl PEG-15 cocamine sulfate, and Dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate.
• Some mild cleansers, less drying and included in modified CG, are Cocamidopropyl betaine, Coco betaine, Cocoamphoacetate, Cocoamphodipropionate, Disodium cocoamphodiacetate or cocoamphodipropionate, Lauroamphoacetate, and Sodium cocoyl isethionate.
A big clue that a product has sulfates or silicones is if an ingredient ends with -ate or -cone. The closer an ingredient is to the beginning of the list, the more of that ingredient is present in that product. Definitely avoid the silicones in the table listed below that are not water soluble.
This list is from www.naturallycurly.com
||Recommended cleansing agents|
|Dimethicone||No||SLS, SLES, cocamidopropyl betaine, cocobetaine, ALS, or ALES
|Dimethiconol||No||SLS, SLES, cocamidopropyl betaine, cocobetaine, ALS, or ALES
|Phenyl Trimethicone||No||SLS, SLES, cocamidopropyl betaine, cocobetaine, ALS, or ALES
|Amodimethicone||No||SLS, SLES, cocamidopropyl betaine, cocobetaine, ALS, or ALES
|Cyclomethicone||No||cocamidopropyl betaine, cocobetaine, other mild surfactants, or conditioner washing
|PEG-modified dimethicone||Yes||cocamidopropyl betaine, cocobetaine, other mild surfactants, or conditioner washing
|Dimethicone copolyol||Yes||cocamidopropyl betaine, cocobetaine, other mild surfactants, or conditioner washing|
For a simpler breakdown of silicones, click here.
The following products are Curly Girl Method approved and can be found at:
I just combined the two lists so that I won't have to keep going between the two sites. Check out those sites though. They're very informative.
I am also adding products as I learn of new CG products.
List has been removed. Please refer to the list found on the left hand side of my blog.