Monday, February 9, 2009

Happy Monday!

I feel like this calorie counting and working out is turning into a part-time job that's taking away from my hair experiments. I didn't get a chance to take any new hair pictures but, I did use a new technique this weekend. I wish I had taken pictures because I know I enjoy posts that have pictures more than words.

My new technique included the use of this microfiber towel that I purchased last week from Ulta.
I've been using the Kinky Curly Knot Today (KCKT) leave-in and Kinky Curly Curling Custard (KCCC). I really like these two together because they give me good curl definition without the crunchiness but, if I don't put enough KCCC my curls go limp and if I put to much I get the crunch. There's definitely a learning curve as mentioned by some of the members of naturallycurly.com.

I now have 3 techniques for when I want to style my hair naturally wavy.

Technique 1. After washing my hair, wrap my hair in a towel until I'm done applying my body lotion, moisturizer, etc. Then apply KCKT and comb through then scrunch KCCC through hair. This I usually do when I'm stubborn and don't feel like changing my old ways because this was they way I used to style my hair.

Pro: Easiest of the techniques. Drying time is decreased. An old routine that I'm used to.
Con: Gives me the least curl definition. Sometimes it makes my hair look dry because products are applied to my hair after it's been drying a bit in the towel instead of products being applied on soaking wet hair like the other techniques below.

Technique 2. After washing my hair, I leave my hair dripping wet and kind of try to gently separate and lift my hair with my fingers so that my hair isn't completely flat on my head and apply KCKT while scrunching then apply KCCC while scrunching. I plop with a turban for 10-45 minutes depending on how much time I have while I get dressed and do my makeup. I discussed this technique here.

Pros: Hair is not on my back while I do my after shower routine. I can do other tasks while I plop. I get pretty good curl definition and hair looks shinier.

Cons: Increased drying time. I usually end up diffusing my hair when I do this technique. Sometimes the front and top of my hair end up squished.

Technique 3. After washing my hair, I leave my hair dripping wet and gently separate and lift my hair like I do in technique 2. I scrunch in KCKT then srunch in KCCC. After I have applied both products, I turn my head upside down and take the microfiber towel and scrunch all the water out. I would say after scrunching with a microfiber towel my hair is 75% dry. I don't usually diffuse after this technique. This is my favorite technique right now because I can kind of guide and shape my hair while I scrunch and I don't have to have wet hair for that long. When I went to Imago Salon, this was how they styled my hair after my haircut except they used an old t-shirt instead of a microfiber towel.

Pros: My roots aren't flat on top and I can easily style the front of my hair. My hair is mostly dry by the time I leave the house even when I don't diffuse. I get good curl defintion but, the shininess varies depending on whether or not I put the correct amount of product in my hair.

Cons: My slightly damp hair is on my back while I do my after shower routine. Not that big of a deal except my whole life I've just been used to having my hair wrapped in a towel while I did this part. Why is it so hard to change your habits?

When I get a chance, I'll add pictures or videos showing techniques 1 and 3 since technique 2 was already discussed in a previous post.

3 comments:

MakeupByRenRen said...

those lil microfiber towels are amazing!

A. Rose said...

I need to get me one of those towels!

jjavier said...

There's nothing wrong with not worrying about your hair for a day