Monday, March 2, 2009

I'm a sucker for peer pressure when it comes to hair

When it comes to hair, I'm easily convinced into trying a new technique or product when a majority of the curlies on naturallycurly.com rave about it. What has caught my eye thanks to Icequeen's explanation on Naturally Curly, Laura Lee, and Beauty Hits & Misses, is basically rinsing and scrunching your conditioner out with your head upside down while you're in the shower. I was already warned about the possibility of water going up your nose with this technique. I hate that feeling of water going up your nose while you swim so I was extra careful trying to avoid it now.

I cowashed with Suave Naturals. Added Loreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss conditioner to my hair and combed it through. Scruched upside down and left it in my hair until the end of my shower. When I was ready to rinse, I put my hair in the water with my head upside down while trying to avoid water getting in my nose. It wasn't that bad, just different. After I was done rinsing, I shut off the water and continued scrunching, still with my head upside down until I got some of the water out. When I turned my head right side up, I was a bit disoriented from being upside down. My hair was still soaking wet. I scrunched in Kinky Curly Knot Today, Kinky Curly Curling Custard, and Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel.

This technique seemed to give me softer waves that started closer to my roots and volume. I think next time I'll have to add more gel because I felt like my waves were too soft that they would eventually go straight.
I'm also wearing my favorite lipstick at the moment. Most Popular from the MAC Hello Kitty collection. The other color I'm currently in love with is Strayin' lipstick from the same collection.

8 comments:

Jen said...

Hi! I was good friends with your brother through high school, met him through Ruben. Small world eh? Haha, come to think of it, he went to prom with me at Tallwood! LOL!

Everyone loves Strayin' but I think it's too bold for me. I swtached it and I was like WOAH! I think I'm just a wimp.

Awww, seeing your wavy hair makes me miss my long hair. SIGH! It looks very purdy!

Janelle said...

Ooh pretty hair! That Kinky Curly Curling Custard sounds really yummy, like I want to eat it hahaha.

I'm the same as Jen. When I saw Strayin' in person, I was like WHOA! Such a bright pink! It looks nice on you though. Maybe I should give it a chance if they have any left.

Janelle said...

Oooh & just a heads up: the next Pretty Pink Box will have products from a curl-friendly haircare line. Just thought you'd like to know since you asked me about it before. I didn't buy last month's box, but I MIGHT get March's!

http://myprettypinkbox.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Very pretty!! It's great when us wavies get root lift and volume!

A. Rose said...

I envy your soft waves...they look so pretty!

Strayin' and Most Popular are my faves, too! Gorgeous colors, both of them!

Iyah Love said...

Love the waves girl!! :) Ohhh I'm also lovin those 2 lippies from HK! Especially Strayin :) I might get a back up ^^

Christle said...

I love your pictures! Your hair looks fantastic. I prefer loose waves so I think I will borrow the 'upside down' technique. I'm getting ready to buy new shampoo and conditioner, what would you recommend? I know you have your list on the left, but there's so many products and I'm a tad lazy to read. Hehehe. Oh and where can I find them? SALAMAT PO :D

P.S. Where can I get the Kinky Curly Curling Custard? Or other after shower products.

Girl with Curl said...

Jen: At least you cut your hair for a good cause. I always admire people who donate their hair.

Janelle: The Kinky Curly Curling Custard does smell good. It smells like marshmallows to me. I picked it because I asked around about CG products that smelled good and this was suggested a lot.

I don't really wear Strayin' by itself. I usually wear it with Prr l/g or Love Nectar l/g

Thanks for the heads up on the Pretty Pink Box. I signed up to be notified when it goes on sale.

Ivy: Thank you. Have you tried the rinsing upside down method?

A.Rose: Yup, Strayin' and Most Popular are currently under heavy rotation. I've been using Most Popular in the daytime and Strayin' if I'm going anywhere after work or on the weekend.

Iyah: Thanks! Whenever I start liking a new color and it's limited edition I always worry about getting a backup. I don't think I've ever gone through a whole lip color though because I end up liking something new before it runs out.

Christle: Just try to avoid your nose when you're rinsing upside down. I don't want to be responsible for a possible drowning haha. For shampoo, I'm really liking the Giovanni Invigorating Tea Tree Shampoo. It doesn't really moisturize just tingles. I figure my hair will get moisturized when I condition. Some of the days you can substitute washing your hair with conditioner instead of shampoo of you're up to it. I'm liking Suave Naturals for that. You can buy the Giovanni line and Suave at Walmart, Target or drugstores like Rite Aid, Walgreens, etc.

For conditioner I'm liking any of the Giovanni conditioners and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. The Aubrey Organics line can be found at Whole Foods. Here's a link to locations in NY.
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/all/index.php#ny

For after shower products I use a leave-in conditioner, Kinky Curly Curling Custard and gel. For leave in you can use Giovanni direct leave-in or Kinky Curly Knot Today leave in. The Kinky Curly Curling Custard and Knot Today leave-in you might get lucky and find at Whole Foods too. For gel, I like Herbal Essences Set me up gel. That you can find at Walmart, Target and drugstores.

When you put all this stuff in your hair, I think you'll get better waves if you scrunch them in both right side up and with your head upside down and when your head is soaking wet. After you've applied that stuff you can use a cotton t-shirt or paper towels to scrunch most of the water out.

I think that covers everything. Let me know how it goes if you try it.